Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
Marlene’s at Sevastopol Station in Des Moines makes bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers with green goddess dressing that as Chef Travis Taylor puts it, “It’s a slap in the mouth.”
• 12 – 14 large fresh jalapeños
• 12 – 14 thick cut apple wood smoked bacon slices
• 6- 7 puff pastry sheets (frozen)
• 10 eggs (beaten)
• 1 large yellow onion (liquefied)
• 2 lbs. cream cheese (let soften at room temperature)
• ¾ C sour cream
• 2 tsp. Mongolian fire oil
• 1/2 tsp. onion powder
• 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1 tsp. dark chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel the yellow onion and dice into 1″ x 1″ pieces. Place in food processor and start on high, until the entire onion is liquefied with no chunks.
3. Combine remaining ingredients (except jalapeños, bacon and puff pastry) and mix well. Transfer to pastry bag.
4. Slice halfway through the top of each jalapeño. Then cut one slice down the center. Remove all seeds and membrane and place on the grill or sauté pan on medium/high heat. Blister outer skin. Make sure not to burn.
5. Remove jalapeños from heat and set aside to cool. Then slowly pipe in the mix filling as full as you can.
6. Wrap each jalapeno with one slice of bacon (use toothpicks if necessary to hold in place), sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until bacon is still fatty but halfway cooked. Remove from oven and set baking temperature to 400 degrees.
7. Remove pastry from freezer and let thaw at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Cut each pastry in half and wrap each jalapeño with point down, using egg wash on each end.
8. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and place in oven for 15 minutes.
9. Let rest out of oven for 5 minutes and serve with Green Goddess dressing (recipe to follow).