Kristen Bell and Dax Shephard are #RelationshipGoals but not in the typical sense, the typical sense here referring to couples like Chrissy Teigen/John Legend and Ryan Reynolds/Blake Lively. You know, really beautiful people with beautiful lives that may or may not hide any and all imperfections behind veneered teeth and PDA and social media. Not that Kristen Bell doesn’t have veneers on her teeth because I’m pretty sure it is a requirement in Hollywood, but what I’m trying to say here is for every public tweet and Instagram picture Blake and Ryan have shared of each other, Kristen and Dax have brought the realness.
They’re #RelationshipGoals because they argue, they admit to arguing, and they overcome their arguments. Because Kristen stuck by Dax’s side through the most difficult of obstacles- his severe drug addiction. Because they openly discuss how couples therapy made them stronger instead of treating it like something to be ashamed of. And because sloths. You’ll see what I mean.
1. When they made a music video of their trip to Africa, lip-synching Toto’s ‘Africa’:
2. When Kristen revealed to Bustle how hard the couple works to keep their relationship healthy:
“There are days when I’m completely sick of him, and there are days when he is completely sick of me. But we’ve chosen to love one another and to be a team… Marriage and a relationship is hard work, and it’s a lot of compromise. But if you compromise a lot, it’s worth it, and you’ll be able to make African vacation music videos.”
3. When Dax set up a meeting with a sloth for Kristen’s 31st birthday (she’s obsessed with sloths):
4. When Kristen said Da was the dictionary definition of “world’s most supportive husband” after he helped rep the Alliance Of Moms.
5. When they made this adorable Samsung commercial together (complete with sloth cookie):
6. When this was Kristen’s first Instagram post:
7. When Dax surprised Kristen with flowers on Ellen for Mother’s Day:
8. When they were loud and proud about their GoT obsession:
“He would rather I sleep with another man [than watch ‘Game of Thrones’ without him],” she said in a recent interview. “I swear to God!” Same, TBH.
9. When Dax wished his wife a happy birthday with this tweet:
10. And when she responded with this one:
11. The time they got married in a tiny room of a Beverly Hills courthouse and looked💘 so💘 in💘 love:
“It was still one of the best days of my life,” recalls Kristen.
12. When Kristen admitted in a cover story that she isn’t a perfect mom or wife:
“We fought a lot and I loved a dramatic exit. If I could slam a door, I felt so powerful,” she told Redbook earlier this month. “If I could get in my car and screech away, it was even better. [Shepard] said to me, ‘If we have an issue, you can’t leave. We’re going to talk or I’m not going to do this with you.’ I loved him so much that I was like, ‘I better get my act together.’”
13. But mostly this: