Look, group chats are an effective method of keeping in contact with your friends throughout the day. I acknowledge and accept this. However, they are also an incredibly effective method of causing you to loathe yourself to the core.
From ignored messages, to group roasting, to dank memes that go unappreciated, we all have reason to be anxious when it comes to participating in group chats. After all, when has gathering a group of people in a room (real, virtual, or otherwise) NOT resulted in a heavy dose of drama?
Here are just a few of the struggles that everyone with Group Chat Anxiety experiences when they’re nervously floating messages to their supposed “friends”:
1. The sudden realization that your friend group is just a snake pit.
2. The acute fear that people aren’t going to laugh or appreciate your memes.
3. The painful scroll process of catching up on last night’s group chat (UGH, THESE PEOPLE TYPE FREAKIN’ NOVELS).
4. The inevitable sadness when you feel like you’re wearing a group chat invisibility cloak …
5. … Which is followed immediately by rage when someone else gets all the group chat attention.
6. Worrying that you look like some sort of lurker (you haven’t replied in weeks, of course you do).
7. Imagining grand dreams for your group chat, then realizing that everybody left.
8. Trying to stay civil when your “friends” are being assholes.
9. Having to type like your fucking life depends on it so that everyone can read your brilliant joke before the topic changes.
10. Feeling like everyone can probably tell how upset you are, based on your terse responses.
11. The constant dread that you’re going to miss a very important group decision if you mute the chat.
12. Becoming paranoid that everyone has made a different group chat without you.
13. Breaking out in flop sweat when everyone on the group chat attempts to make any sort of plan.
14. The instant notification-anxiety you get when you’re added to any new group chat.
15. The insomnia which is triggered by late-night group chat alerts.
16. The bittersweet feeling of relief when you ignore the haters and mute the shit out of that group chat.
Related-ish: 21 Struggles Only Pale AF Girls Will Laugh At