Our lives revolve around food. When we’re eating we can’t stop and when we aren’t eating we’re constantly thinking about our next meal and so on. The majority of us at least attempt to eat healthy now and again or we try to convince ourselves that we do.
The truth is though, that while we may be eating well, we don’t always know what it is we’re consuming or where TF it comes from. Tbh, sometimes we don’t want to know, we would just rather be blissfully unaware, BUT it’s always good to educate yourself.
So here are a few wacky WTF facts about your favorite part of life, food.
1. Vanilla flavoring known as castoreum we use in candy, baked goods, and the like is derived from the anal secretions of a beaver. *Gag*
2. The common dessert ingredient, gelatin, is made from cattle hides and pork skins.
3. Red food dye is actually made from bugs.
4. The Sardinian cheese Casu Marzu is purposely infested with maggots.
5. Fruit snacks are made with the same wax used on cars.
6. When taken in large doses, Nutmeg can be used as a hallucinogen.
7. Most wasabi isn’t real wasabi, it’s flavored horseradish.
8. Honey comes from nectar AND bee vomit.
9. The potentially fatal brain mushroom is revered in Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, and the upper Great Lakes region of North America.
10. A softening agent used in bread known as L-Cysteine is made from human hair and duck feathers.
11.The reason jelly beans are so shiny is due to shellac which is made from bug poop.
12. Coconut water is a universal donor and can be used as blood plasma.
13. Ketchup was once used to treat stomach ailments like diarrhea, violent bilious attacks, and indigestion.
14. Bananas have been known to help with symptoms of depression thanks to high levels of tryptophan.
15. At one time, chocolate was used as a currency. Ancient civilizations specifically the Mayans and Aztecs used the cocoa bean as a form of money.
16. The most requested pizza topping in Brazil is green peas.
17. The international delicacy milt is really fish sperm.
18. If a cranberry is ripe enough, it will bounce like a rubber ball.
19. The state vegetable of Oklahoma is the watermelon.
20. Apples are actually members of the rose family.
21. There is a pizza that costs $12,000 and takes 3 days to make.
22. Humans are literally born craving sugar.
23. Puffer fish contains a toxin 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide.
24. Three full plates at a Chinese buffet amount to about 3,000 calories.
25. McDonalds sells 75 burgers every second of every day.
26. Popsicles were invented in 1905 by an 11-year-old.
27. Cucumbers are made up of 96% water.
28. There are more than 7,500 varieties of apples grown around the world.
29. Almonds are actually seeds, not nuts.
30. Peppers taste hot because of the chemical compound capsaicin. It tricks your sensory nerves into thinking your mouth is actually being burned.
31. The twist in pretzels is meant to look like arms folded in prayer.
See Also: 11 WTF Facts You Never Knew About Bras