We are often led to believe that quality makeup is inherently expensive — and even though it hurts, we’re usually willing to pay an arm and a leg in the vain effort to find that one cosmetic product that we just can’t live without.
But what if it really were possible to get the feel of high-end makeup without having to venture further than your local CVS or Walgreens? What if drugstore makeup was actually comparable to the unapologetically expensive merchandise in Sephora?
Well, I’m about to blow your mind: all of the above are both possible and (dare I say it?) plausible.
There are actually plenty of cheap makeup products that are comparable (or, in some cases, identical) to the pricey designer cosmetics you so often covet from afar. So why torture yourself with makeup you can’t afford when there are totally acceptable dupes just around the corner?
Here are just a few drugstore makeup alternatives that will make you feel like a rich bitch without making you spend money like one.
1. Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer VS Rimmel Natural Bronzer
Sure, you could opt for the $30 Too-Faced bronzer to obtain your sun-kissed glow — or you could just use this reliable, $5 option from Rimmel. Seems like a no-brainer, honestly.
2. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer VS Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
NARS is an amazing cosmetic line, but their prices deflate my soul on a regular basis. Instead of the $28 NARS concealer, use the $7 Maybelline option for virtually the same results.
3. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara VS Rimmel Scandaleyes Mascara
“Better Than Sex” is truly impressive marketing — but is this mascara good enough to warrant its $23 price tag? Not when there’s Rimmel’s nearly identical $6 mascara on the market.
4. MAC “Russian Red” Lipstick VS Revlon “Really Red” Lipstick
The $17 MAC lipstick is fiery and pigmented and amzing … but so is this $8 version from Revlon.
5. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer VS Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer
Smashbox primers are often whispered about in reverent tones, but a full-sized bottle of this stuff will run you about $30. Get equally flawless results with Maybelline’s Baby Skin for a mere $6 — no post-purchase guilt necessary.
6. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz VS NYX Micro Brow Pencil
A $30 brow pencil or a nearly identical option for only $10? Decisions, decisions …
7. Beauty Blender VS Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
Okay guys, I get it: the Beauty Blender is great. But you know what? It’s a $20 sponge. For that same amount, you could get FOUR of the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponges!
8. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil VS Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner
It’s eyeliner. Don’t spend $20 on it. Spend $5 and then use the remaining money to treat yourself to a cocktail.
9. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in “Vampira” VS ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip in “LAX”
Liquid matte lipstick is an incredible invention which we should all be thankful for. That said, paying $20 for Kat Von D’s version can hurt your wallet a little bit. Try ColourPop’s $10 dupe instead.
10. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion VS Milani Eyeshadow Primer
Milani Eyeshadow Primer is only $6 and will ensure that your eye makeup stays put. You could splurge on Urban Decay’s $20 version, but honestly, why bother?
11. Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation VS L’Oreal True Match Lumi
Hmmm … a $42 liquid foundation, or its $10 nearly-identical cousin? GEE, I WONDER WHICH ONE I’LL PICK.
12. Urban Decay Naked 3 Eyeshadow Palette VS CoverGirl True Naked Roses Palette
The $9 CoverGirl palette offers fewer colors, sure — but that ones that are included are almost perfectly comparable to those found in the Naked 3 palette. Plus, it’s roughly $25 cheaper. A total no-brainer.
13. Yves Saint Laurent Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain VS L’Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain
This magical, glossy stain offered by YSL for $36 is truly amazing — but you know what’s even more amazing? The fact that you can get the exact same product from L’Oreal for less than ten dollars.
14. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in “Lolita” VS NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in “Soft-Spoken”
The “Lolita” shade is the most popular color in Kat Von D’s liquid lipstick collection. However, it will run you about $20, which is kind of hard to justify when it comes to buying lip gloss. Get NYX’s cheaper version in an almost identical shade for just seven dollars.