Drunken parties are really the only things adults have to look forward to when it comes to Halloween. While costumes are still important, the tradition of trick-or-treating is no longer on the table (unless you’re feeling especially gluttonous/ballsy), and your desire for candy is now (mostly) outweighed by your desire for debauchery.
As such, Halloween parties are one of the most important facets of the holiday. And if you happen to be throwing a Halloween party, the pressure is ON.
Sure, you could have a standard, run-of-the-mill apartment gathering where everybody’s in costume and standing around a punch bowl, but really — who’s fantasizing about that party?
Up your Halloween party’s badass factor with a few simple ideas and serving suggestions that are fairly easy to accomplish, and will raise your annual party from a Moderately Enjoyable Gathering to Can’t-Miss Seasonal Event.
1. Welcome your ghoulish friends into your home with some macabre funeral wreaths.
2. Don’t skimp on the DIY cobwebs, particularly in the entryway.
3. Make sure you have a witchy brew bubbling in the corner (made easy with the help of some dry ice and a cauldron).
4. Offer guests some black candy apples to whet their appetite.
5. Create creepy glowing apothecary jars with the help of some blacklight bars and highlighter fluid.
6. Give everyone their own “Poisoned Apple”cocktail (complete with dry ice, naturally).
7. Paint your decorative pumpkins with a coat of creepy, black matte paint.
8. Decorate the walls with spooky thrift store portraits (and more cobwebs, obviously).
9. Use a hollowed-out pumpkin as the party’s ice bucket.
10. Line any staircases with antique-looking candlesticks and battery-powered flickering candles.
11. Don’t forget the fleet of fluttering paper bats!
12. Use black taper candles in matte black wine bottles to heighten the gothic vibes.
13. Switch out all of your regular bulbs for colored/blacklight bulbs (trust me on this one).
14. Buy some cheap, decorative china from Goodwill and paint it black.
15. Suspend “floating” witch hats from the ceiling for optimal occult vibes.
16. Light up some black skull candles.
17. Make a batch of these caramel nut brown recluse spiders, from brilliant dessert queen, Christine McConnell.
18. Sip elegantly from this “Blackbeard” cocktail.
19. Give yourself a sexy and spooky Halloween playlist.
This one comes courtesy of PopSugar, but you should use your personal tastes and ingenuity to come up with your own!