As if 2016 couldn’t sink any lower, we now have an additional reason to be afraid: dead rodents nestled in our professional clothing. One young woman is currently suing Zara because she experienced the real-life horror story of finding a dead mouse sewn into the hem of her dress.
24-year-old Cailey Fiesel bought the dress in question from a Zara store in Greenwich, Connecticut in early July. About one month later, Fiesel decided to wear the dress to work.
“While at work, she started to notice a disturbingly pungent odor and was unable to identify the source,” Fiesel’s lawsuit against Zara reads. “Despite getting up from her desk and walking around, she was unable to escape this odor.”
Prepare yourself: this is when the true horror of the situation begins to unfold.
“As the day went on, Ms. Fiesel started to notice what felt like a loose string from her dress rubbing against her leg,” the lawsuit continues. “Without giving it much thought she reached down with her hand to try and locate the piece of string that was rubbing against her.”
(You just can’t read this deposition without feeling a sense of impending doom.)
“To her utter shock and disbelief, as she ran her hand over the hem of the dress she felt an unusual bulge and suddenly realized that it was not a string that was rubbing against her leg but was instead a leg rubbing against her leg. The leg of a dead rodent that is.”
OH, HELLO, DEEPEST CIRCLE OF HELL, THANK YOU FOR THIS MOUSE DRESS.
It was unclear whether the rodent was trapped before or after its death — but either way, it was definitely dead and decomposing. The lawsuit includes photos of the offensive dress in question, “conspicuously depicting the dead rodent with at least one of its appendages protruding.”
Not surprisingly, Fiesel flipped the f*ck out when she realized she was unintentionally wearing an animal corpse.
“Ms. Fiesel jumped out of her chair in shock … people surrounded her desk to see what the commotion was while Ms. Fiesel was paralyzed with fear … she then ran to remove the dress.”
Fiesel chose to sue Zara after the truly traumatizing incident — not only because she suffered considerable emotional duress, but because she also had to make a special trip to her doctor’s office after the incident.
According to the lawsuit, “She formed a large rash that was diagnosed as a rodent born disease.”
So, if you were blithely living your life, assuming that you were safe from animal carcasses rubbing against your body, you were sadly mistaken. None of us are safe, the world is a terrifying place, and this is why we can’t have nice things.
Zara addressed the suit in a statement to TMZ:
Zara USA is aware of the suit, and we are investigating the matter further. Zara USA has stringent health and safety standards, and we are committed to ensuring that all of our products meet these rigorous requirements.
One would think that keeping dead rodents out of your clothing wouldn’t be considered a particularly “rigorous” quality requirement, but clearly nothing makes sense anymore.
While it’s still a mystery as to how the lawsuit will pan out, it’s pretty difficult to argue with such disgusting evidence.
Send happy thoughts to Cailey today, because she’s probably just a shell of a human being after enduring such a haunting experience. And please remember to not trust anything in your closet, because evidently, sooner or later, all of your clothes will betray you.
Related-ish: 5 People Who Had A Rougher Weekend Than You Did