My grandfather had a saying which went something along the lines of,”Family members are like fish. They’re fun at first, but after about three days they start to smell.”
This saying has never been more true when it comes to going home for the holidays. You can be sure to expect political arguments, obnoxious questions about your school and your future, and probing inquiries about your love life. However, you can also expect awesome food, happy reunions, and quality times with people you love.
So, in the end, it honestly balances out.
Here are some pics which fully encapsulate the best (and worst) parts of venturing home for Thanksgiving — because it’s a whole new game once you’re sitting at the Adults Table.
1. When your inner troll forces you to talk politics.
2. Your reaction when you realize you aren’t considered a “kid” anymore.
3. When you try to subtly tell your family about your relationship with wine.
4. When you realize your family is totally clueless about your actual life.
5. When you try to hold it together for the school-related questions.
6. When you forego common decency for the sake of deliciousness.
7. When you’re faced with the most impossible question of all.
8. Your face when you have to steel yourself for the inevitable.
9. When you aren’t about to let anybody get between you and some stuffing.
10. When you realize you’re no match against all of the women in your family.
11. When you have to hide your disappointment over (some of) your relatives’ cooking skills.
12. When you’re forced to remind your grandma that you’re single as f*ck.
13. When you’re asked to start thinking about stupid real-life decisions.
14. When you just wish everyone would shut up and eat.
15. When you pretend you have zero cleanup responsibilities.
16. When you realize that sometimes, family can be pretty damn awesome.