I think we can all agree that 2016 has not been one of our shining moments. It’s been more of a cluster fuck of mortifying shit storms and general dismay.
However, not all dignity was lost in the past 12 months. In fact, there were quite a few redeeming instances that we should take time to look back on rather than solely wallow in the negative.
With that in mind, here are a few events from 2016 that don’t make us want to curl up in fetal position or bang our heads into a wall. If these still don’t make you feel slightly more optimistic about the past year, at least you can take solace in the fact that 2017 is only days away.
1. Leo FINALLY got his damn Oscar.
2. The world was introduced to Chewbacca Mom.
3. Luna Legend was born and we all fell in love.
4. Beyoncé released the masterpiece that is Lemonade.
5. Jennifer Aniston was deemed People‘s “Most Beautiful Woman.”
6. Adele went on a world tour and gave us all the feels.
7. Stranger Things debuted on Netflix and was streamed by 8.2 million people in its first 16 days.
8. Chance the Rapper made this face (and was all of us) when he met Beyoncé at the VMAs:
9. The hole in the ozone layer has shown signs of healing for the first time, thank god.
10. Giant Pandas are no longer endangered.
11. It was announced that Harriet Tubman will be taking Andrew Jackson’s place on the $20 bill.
12. Frank Ocean quenched our undying thirst with a new album.
13. The Final Five won gold medals in Rio.
14. We witnessed the glorious shadow of Orlando Bloom’s manhood.
15. This Amazon Prime commercial restored our faith in just about everything.
16. The Rock was named People’s “Sexiest Man Alive.”
17. Pretty much Ariel Winter’s entire Instagram.
18. The Gilmore Girls revival premiered on Netflix and left us all speechless.