It goes without saying that 2016 has been a very naked year, in every sense of the word. We’ve been naked in our emotions surrounding the horrendous tragedies that have unfurled in the past 12 months including (but not limited to) the presidential election and the loss of too many iconic artists.
It’s also been quite naked in the literal sense. Yes, there have been a multitude of overwhelming thirst traps, but we’re specifically referring to the empowering and historically significant moments of nudity seen this year, particularly from inspirational women. Below are just a few of these said instances that are sure to give you a reason to not completely regret 2016.
1. When 32 women protested Facebook’s nudity rules by posing naked in ‘censored’ tape.
2. Becky Dann’s nude photoshoot in her wheelchair intended to help us explore the way we view disability.
3. This breast cancer survivor who posted a nude selfie in defense of transgender rights.
4. The Adipositivity Project which aimed to remind us that love knows no size limits.
5. These women who sent nudes in exchange for Anti-Trump votes.
6. Anastacia, who revealed her mastectomy scars for the first time in an inspiring naked photoshoot.
7. A very pregnant Pink’s beautiful topless photo on Instagram.
8. The genderless nipple Instagram that protests Instagram’s anti-nip policy.
9. Hundreds of women (and men) who freed their nipples on a British beach.
10. This student’s powerful #SignedByTrump photo series.
11. Touching photographs of women after giving water birth.
12. Tess Holiday showing off her gorgeous pregnant bod.
13. Every beautiful breastfeeding selfie posted this year.