The month of May not only marks the beginning of warmer weather and hours spent bikini-clad by the pool, it’s also recognized as International Masturbation Month, an entire 30 days dedicated solely to celebrating the act of self pleasure.
Though masturbation is commonly joked about and euphemised among the male population, the act is often seen as a taboo topic among women and—much like many aspects of our sexuality—isn’t “supposed” to be talked about in public. Obviously, this is a ridiculous double standard and we should be able to openly discuss our “alone time” just as guys proudly boast about jacking off.
That being said, in honor of this wonderfully erotic month and negating taboos, these are just a few facts you can share the next time you think about going to town on yourself.
1. Masturbation leads to reduced risk of diabetes and insomnia.
3. More than 7 million fleshlights have been sold worldwide.
4. Masturbation is an effective method for reducing menstrual cramps and muscle tension.
5. Most women report masturbating at least once a week.
6. Humans aren’t the only species who masturbate; birds, apes and horses also enjoy self pleasure.
8. In 1656, you could have been executed if you were caught masturbating in Connecticut.
9. There are three types of female orgasms: clitoral, vaginal, and a combination of both.
10. The average female orgasm lasts around 20 seconds.
11. One of the very first visuals depicting female masturbation was found in a clay figurine in a temple in Malta.
12. 94% of men 85% of women admit to masturbating.
13. People who have regular sex tend to masturbate more than those who don’t.
15. The Kama Sutra contains graphic instructions for masturbating.
16. More than 41% of people have been walked in on while “doing the deed.”
17. National Masturbation Month was first celebrated in honor of Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, who was fired by President Bill Clinton for supporting masturbation for sexual health.
18. Most people who masturbate report having happier marriages and lives (go figure).