This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of our favorite magical series and fans are celebrating in the most wizardly ways possible. Not to mention, a Harry Potter edition of Cards Against Humanity has been released AND we can expect two more books from the series this October.
In commeration of all of this incredibly magic news, here are a few little-known facts about the books and films that will make you want to re-live them all over again.
1. Voldemort was 71 when he died in the Battle of Hogwarts.
2. Professor Snape was loosely based on J.K. Rowling’s old chemistry teacher.
3. After Hogwarts, Ginny became a professional Quidditch player.
4. Harry and J.K. Rowling have the same birthday; July 31st.
5. Professor McGonagall was a talented Quidditch player back in the day.
6. The official school motto of Hogwarts is “Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus,” which means “Never tickle a sleeping dragon.”
7. Rowling modeled young Hermione after herself.
8. Tom Felton first auditioned for the parts of Ron and Harry, before getting cast as Draco.
9. The dementors were inspired by the depression Rowling dealt with after her mother’s death.
10. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle was actually 36 years old.
11. Rowling declined a request from Michael Jackson to make a Harry Potter musical.
12. The films’ makeup artists applied the lightning bolt scar 5,800 times.
13. Dumbledore fell in love with Gellert Grindelwald.
14. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all featured on their own Chocolate Frog cards.
15. Dumbledore’s boggart is his deceased sister Ariana.
16. Rowling admitted that she regrets Ron and Hermione’s relationship.
17. All of the food filmed in the Great Hall scenes was real.
18. Dumbledore is an Old English word for “bumblebee.”
19. Rupert Grint has a very real fear of spiders.
20. Daniel Radcliffe went through 160 pairs of prop glasses during filming.
21. “Expecto Patronum” translates to “I await a guardian” in Latin.