The Video Music Awards have a history of being an “anything goes” affair. Look, when you get a couple thousand inflated egos in one room, vying for a coveted Moon Man statue, you’re bound to get some one-up-worthy moments. And if the tumultuous year we’ve had is any preview of what’s to come, some drama is expected.
Relive some of the best moments from 33 years of VMA mayhem, and then catch tonight’s (August 27, 2017) ceremony and performances starting at 5PM PDT on MTV.
1. When Lil Mama crashed Jay-z and Alicia Keys’ “New York State of Mind” performance in 2009
She doesn’t even go here!
2. When, In 1998, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston presented on-stage in the exact same ensemble
And then the divas ripped off their dresses to show they are actually wearing custom creations. *bow down*
3. When Nikki Minaj confronted host Miley Cyrus in 2015 for some shit she said to the media
“What’s good, Miley?” will forever be the bitch slap heard ’round the world.
4. When Rage Against the Machine lost Best Rock Video to Lip Bizkit in 2000, and then their bassist climbed the stage decor and refused to get down
More like rage against MTV, amiright?
5. When Eminem won Video of the Year in 2002, but was not in a good enough mood to put up with the antics of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
Eminem is not a fan of puppets. Or Moby.
6. When Rihanna friendzoned the fuck out of Drake in 2016, directly after he pretty much declared his love for her to the world
Ooof. No kiss for you!
7. When we got the PDA moment literally no one asked for between the King of Pop and the Princess of Rock & Roll in 1994
8. When Lady Gaga out-Gaga’ed herself in 2010 by wearing the meat dress
That poor costume designer…
9. When Madonna reigned supreme in 1990 by showing the world she’s the Queen of Pop with her Vogue performance
Let them eat cake.
10. When Michael Jackson thought he was getting an award for “Artist of the Millennium” in 2002 but Britney Spears was just trying to give him a birthday cake
Artist of the Millennium isn’t a thing. She was just trying to say something nice.
11. When Beyoncé topped her own performance by showing off a cleverly concealed baby bump
Now THAT is a pregnancy announcement.
12. When Britney Spears’ danced with a live python during her “Slave 4 U” performance in 2001
Hot damn, those moves were straight 🔥🐍🔥
13. When Diana Ross gave Lil Kim’s exposed breast a love tap in the middle of presenting an award in 1999
“Wait, can she do that??
14. When Kanye jumped on stage to say to Taylor Swift’s face that Beyonce should have got the 2009 Best Female Video award
“Yo, Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ma let you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time!” – Kanye West
15. When Madonna kissed Britney Spears, and followed that up by kissing Xtina, during their 2003 performance
Here for it, now and forever.
[h/t Getty Images]