Think back to your late teen years. What were you like as a person? Would you change anything? For most people the answer to these questions is a resounding ‘YES’, but we wanted to know the specifics.
So, we polled our audience and asked them what advice they would give to their 18-year-old selves, knowing what they know now. And the responses were eye-opening to say the least.
1. heather.macrae makes an excellent point about avoiding debt.
“Credit cards are the devil.”
2. raegruz offers several useful tips.
“Wash your face before bed no matter how tired you are, be nice to everyone even if they’re not so nice to you, don’t be in a hurry to grow up, don’t compare yourself to anyone else, don’t focus so much on your love life – you won’t meet “the one” for a looong time.”
3. leah.namdaer would remind her younger self to embrace being who she is.
“Don’t change for other people. you’re true self will come out eventually and you will hate explaining or defending it.”
4. I wish I would’ve followed countrygirl.az’s advice.
“Wear your retainer. Straight teeth never go out of style.”
5. juliaamagalhaes, has pointers for every stage in adult life.
“Grind in your 20s. Build in your 30s. Chill in your 40s.”
6. We can guess what inspireunconventional probably meant by this.
“Don’t put that in your mouth!!”
7. Preach, shananolan, preach.
“Your physical appearance doesn’t determine your worth.”
8. adge_mac_ would have taken away the tweezers.
“Stop plucking your eyebrows so much!”
9. sarah.kbh would’ve put herself out there more.
“Say ‘yes’ more. Try new things when they present themselves. Be Brave! Put yourself out there.”
10. marcus_olson wishes he’d gotten out earlier.
“Get out of your hometown ASAP after high school! The world is a huge interesting place and you’ll regret not leaving sooner.”
11. wolfybearrr says it’s okay to ask for help.
“I found out I had depression at 18, and became absent from everyone so my advice would be to keep in contact with your friends!! Being alone isn’t always better.”
12. nursinginpink would give herself a break.
“Don’t be so hard on yourself. You will make mistakes, and that’s ok. It means you’re learning.”
13. I could not agree more, aka_jenner.
“Holy fuck wear sunscreen.”
14. Emily got very specific.
“Don’t get with the guy who is way to old for you, and has a drug problem. Run far, far away from that sinking ship!”
15. Same, elyssarook.
“Don’t go to bed with make up on!”
16. I think Sarah probably has the best message.
“Eat all the fried cheese while your metabolism is still fast! Throw in a side of donuts too.”
17. Everyone should listen to Iron Mike.
“Wrap that Rascal!”
18. Amanda says you should appreciate naps while you still can.
“Enjoy living alone and have more naps because after you get married and have kids, naps and alone time are few and far between.”
19. Jessica’s advice is something we still need to hear.
“Stop comparing yourself. Love who you are. Live in your moments. A man doesn’t define your worth and you are in control of your own happiness.”
20. flip4snownmountains would better appreciate the value of education.
“Stick with College…no matter what.”
21. eileenbeans77 speaks the truth.
“If you can’t afford condoms, you cant afford a kid, you moron.”
22. beth_m01 knows travel is priceless.
“Study abroad, you’re going to have student loans anyway.”
23. Simple, but true meg.tep.
“Don’t give up.”