Now that we’re officially in September, we’ve already started thinking about Halloween. It’s over a month away, but that’s just enough time to figure out what creepy costume we’re going to wear.
In the spirit of all things spooky, we decided to ask theBERRY audience about their most “irrational” fears and the responses were far from expected.
1. Chelsea isn’t a fan of dead birds.
“Dead birds. I swear they’re just faking and will attack my head.”
2. Sarah and I share a fear of these fake humans.
“Mannequins. Mainly the ones with hair and make up and all that shit. Terrifying.”
3. Chelsea M. should probably avoid all Gumby’s restaurants.
“Clay animation shit.. Gumby freaks me right the fuck out.”
4. Courtney’s phobia is unheard of.
“Wet ponytail holders. If my hair is pulled up in a pony tail I literally need someone else to take my hair down. If there is no one around I will do it myself as quickly as possible but throw it across to room.”
5. Same, Libby, same.
“Dolls, specifically ventriloquist’s dummies, or old porcelain dolls. Those are just wrong and sooo creepy.”
6. Karlee would prefer you eat your ketchup far away from her.
“Sooo, I am deathly afraid of condiments. I can’t even touch the bottles. Like even if they’re unopened. Eating a condiment, don’t sit next to me.”
7. Andrea’s fear is far from irrational.
“Down escalators! I’ve never fallen or tripped on one, but I always feel like I’m going to lean forwards too far and fall all the way down!”
8. Kristin is very specific.
“My sisters boogers. I’m a mom and can handle boogertown, but for whatever reason my 36 yr old sisters boogers scare me.”
9. Amber probably isn’t the biggest fan of aquariums.
“Live fish, I can’t stand the fact that they are below me doing whatever they do without me being able to see them. I don’t enter their world and they don’t enter mine.”
10. Jenny doesn’t care for potatoes.
“Old forgotten potatoes… particularly those awful rat-tail-looking roots that grow out of them.”
11. Can you really blame Kirsty-Jane?
“Feet. My own, other people’s, It doesn’t matter. If someone puts their bare feet near me I will lose it.”
12. Stephanie would not fair well in a hospital job.
“Puke. If you just tell me you’re nauseous I’m on high alert. I’m not even a sympathy puker…I’m just terrified of it!”
13. Patty can’t stand the idea of sitting by a wall.
“Sitting against a wall. I can’t be on the inside of a booth at a restaurant or in the movies on the end by the wall. Nor can I lean against a wall. I have a fear something is gonna crawl from the wall on to me.”
14. Erin would like you to keep your hair to yourself.
“Single strands of hair. Brushing against me, between my toes/fingers, in my mouth. My gag reflex is terrible if I find one in my food and I won’t finish the meal.”
15. Allyson was traumatized as a child.
“Balloons. I had a huge one explode in my face when I was a kid and I don’t deal with them since. I don’t like them near me, and if I see one I’m constantly super anxious that it’s going to pop.”
16. Courtney M does not care for butterflies.
“Motherfucking butterflies because if you’re being real with yourself, they are just colorful moths and creepy as fuck. They use color to distract you from how creepy looking they really are.”
17. Keep all velvet away from Neely.
“Velvet. Ask anybody that knows me and they will tell you I turn into a crazy person if you try to touch me with it, especially crushed velvet…just writing this is causing my skin to crawl and my joints to lock up. I go board stiff like one of those fainting goats.”
18. stephcyo89 offers a perfectly rational explanation for her fear of turbines.
“I absolutely hate wind turbines. I have to close my eyes every time I pass them. I can’t even drive if I know there will be wind turbines. I will have an anxiety attack. My fear is the whole thing dismantling and the parts decapitating people.”
19. Safe to say, annskiesb will not be pursuing a career in optometry.
“Eyeballs. If I see someone touching their eyeball or a movie/show where someone’s eye is being impaled – I am freaked the fuck out.”
20. katiejmc should consider this fear as a plot for a horror movie.
“I’m terrified of my belly button opening up like a port and spilling my guts. It geeks me out when people touch their belly buttons.”
21. _l.k.c_, this definitely counts.
“Not sure if this counts, but whenever I’m talking about someone I have this irrational fear my phone has somehow dialed them and they are listening to every word I say. I always have to pull my phone out of my purse and check.”
22. Kiira-lynn is terrified of moose.
“Moose. Have you ever seen a moose up close? Did you know they can SWIM?! I don’t just mean take a water stroll, I mean dive down into water?! IT’S NOT OKAY.”
23. am_ellis refrains from doing too much baking.
“That when I open the oven I’m going to fall on the oven door and burn my whole body lol idk what started it but I have a hard time taking things out of the oven and I always do it as quickly as I can.”
24. Everyone should be more afraid of these, Annie.
“Freeways. Driving high speeds with a high volume of cars. If one person isn’t paying attention that can cost you your life plus high speed crashes rarely end well. I’m the biggest back seat driver ever because I’m just paranoid constantly of being in a crash.”
25. body_thief has clearly had nightmares about this.
“Sleeping in a sleeping bag that’s zipped up and being thrown into a body of water.”
26. Mollie doesn’t like to think of sharks in peculiar places.
“Sharks being in a pool! We have a pool in our yard and I’m the one that takes care of it but the second I’m in there by myself I’m in major panic attack. Going under water in a pool by myself….big ole NOPE!! I used to have the same fear with them being in bathtubs or coming up the drain of the bathtub but I’m overcome that one! However I actually like watching shark week when other people are around.”
27. Chelsea R has a rough time around the 4th of July.
“Fireworks in general but especially sparklers. My older brother chased me around and burned me with them when we were young. I flinch every time. I’m a total shitshow at the beginning of July.”
28. lil_nurse_on_the_prairie has a top 3 NOPE list.
“In no particular order: 1. A panty liner stuck to the back of my shirt. 2. My car blowing up when I unlock it. 3. My car being sucked under as I pass a semi.”
29. Erin was willing to put her fears aside for her kids.
“The carwash. Hated it. So much anxiety. Never washed my car like ever unless it was in my driveway with a hose. I recently overcame this fear because I couldn’t let my kid have the same irrational fear. So we did the carwash together and now I’m cured!”
30. Amanda prefers to be in the company of the living.
“Graveyards. I used to be okay with them as a kid but the older I’ve got, the more irrational my fear is. I try not to breathe when near one because I don’t want to breathe in “death”. Yep….my mind is that stupid, but unfortunately I can’t stop the fear.”
31. chardonie, me too.
“Raggedy Ann doll ever since I was a child. Then I seen the original “Annabelle” doll and now I can’t even.”