As a kid, Halloween wasn’t just about candy – it was a way to be someone else for just one night. You could dress up as anyone or anything, it just took a little imagination and hopefully some willing parents, to make your dream come true.
For me, the best Halloween costume I ever had was the first year I didn’t have one of those itchy, polyester, store-bought costumes. It was the mid ’90s, I was 10, and we were a little late coming up wth a costume. So my mom and I found a sunflower baby doll dress (remember those?) in my closet, added some stockings and Mary Jane shoes, some pig tails and a little makeup, and we had ourselves a rag doll! I loved it because it was the first time I got to wear makeup, even though it was mostly eyeliner “stitches,” some blush, and a little lipstick. But the memory of us doing it together and making something our own will always stick with me, and it’s something I hope my daughter will want to do in the years to come.
1. leah.namdaer was a little late to the party.
piggy backing the devil. i made one of those two person piggy back riding costumes and my mother thought it would be funny to make the person a devil. i was 12. the concept never really got me till years later.
2. rdavis64 was a very supportive daughter.
My dad milked cows for the longest so until I was about 5 my mom thought it was the funniest thing for me to dress up as a cow and go see my Dad at the farm and play with the baby calves.
3. kblend7 is a fantastic sister.
Not my costume, but I made my youngest brother a Brawny paper towel guy costume on the fly last year. We don’t even buy Brawny paper towels so I had to print out a logo and tape it over a roll of Bounty.
4. That a heck of a lot of sequins, dani18leck.
Ginger from Spice Girls. My mom sewed on every sequence to make the British flag. It was epic!
5. Um, same, archerygirl1019.
I was a very cute spider when I was in kindergarten 🕷 now I have arachnophobia
6. Oh, we got a badass over here, terrat84.
Dressing up as a baby for school…I took a bottle and filled it with orange soda. Back then you were only allowed water…I thought I was such a bad ass with my orange soda.
7. I wanna see that, marlomarshmallow.
One year I decided I wanted to be the Spider Queen (i.e. queen of all the spiders). my parents helped me make a spider scepter
8. believe_da_hype tried a little experiment.
I thought I was being super cool & creative so I dressed up as a He-Man/Lion-O from Thundercats hybrid and looked absolutely ridiculous
9. Kimberly H
Esmeralda from hunchback of noter dame my bleach blond hair was spray painted jet black and after recess the paint started to run all over my face they had to call my parents
10. Officially jealous of thegyrrl.
🌈Rainbow Brite 🌈 my mom made the costume I won first place!
11. Agreed, Beth V.
I was judge judy one year! She is terrifying!
12. funsizekaty and her sister are adorably creative.
My sister and I were Siamese twin cats. My mom sewed our costumes together and we did the 3-legged race all night 😼😼
13. Definitely don’t see a lot of skunks out there, Tiffany S.
I was a skunk that my aunt made me a costume for! I was adorable!
14. Easy peasy, danbrownohio.
Hobo. Every year. Bandana on a stick? Check! Off you go kid.
15. I wouldn’t wanna come near you, darthkaiter.
I was a bunch of grapes one year with as many balloons as my mom could fit on me. My hair was sky high all night 🙄
16. I think we all attempted those terrible masks at least once, leigh_guinn.
Pink Power Ranger!!! Even though the plastic mask was sharp as a razor, I couldn’t breathe, and was sweating from head to toe, I felt like a boss. // Or the year I was a pumpkin and my mom stuffed the body suit with newspaper for fluff. I was super sweaty so the ink transferred to my skin. It was pretty sweet.
17. Ummmm, did we just become best friends, 42_cheese??
Kindergarten, pink genie! 💗 💁🏽made up of pants & a long sleeve crop top… where were my parents!?!?
18. Olga C’s mom is definitely creative.
Tomato 🍅 😯Mom made it, funny as i look back, but it ws beautifully done. Yay 🍅
19. Totally worth it, Grace R.
Queen Amidala when I was 3 👌the plastic headpiece gave me a rash but it was worth it.
20. saritapita84‘s parents were hinting to get her to clean her room.
A maid at the age of 5
21. Sounds a little uncomfortable, but very creative am_ellis.
I was a rubiks cube my last year trick or treating !
22. just_jewels suffered (a little) for her art.
I was Winifred from Hocus Pocus. We found a dress at the thrift store and my mom sewed on a hood. She used one of those combs with color to dye my dark brown hair orange. ( it took days to wash out) It was so awesome!
23. 89tigerlilly’s mom would be a Pinterest mom today.
My mom dressed me as grapes. I wore purple sweatpants and a sweatshirt and she safety pinned purple balloons to my clothes. Pretty creative for being before Pinterest was a thing.
24. Sorry if you’re scared of clowns, but this costume of jspurrell as Pippi Longstocking is so cute.
25. Niomia B had the ultimate buddy costume!
The headless horseman costume with my horse ! It was awesome!!
26. So into this, bwillykeys.
Many girl want to be a Disney Princess right? Not me. I wanted to be Aladdin one year. So my aunt slaves for weeks sewing me a pink Aladdin costume at my request complete with sultan hat and shoes.
27. Damn, bonzai_627’s folks are lowkey savage.
I wanted to be Nancy Kerrigan SO bad, but I’m blonde and my parents told everyone that I was Tonya Harding instead. My Dad even handed me a wooden club to carry around
28. suzhancock1’s mom’s closet would have been dress-up heaven!
Carmen Miranda. I wore a spicy red and white Flamingo type dress, with these killer wedges. My mom made big hoop earrings out of mason jar lids and a head piece out of the fake fruit that looks real. I think I was probably 12. My mom has the best costume collect ever! She has kept a ton of her dresses from the 60’s and has collected stuff over the years.
29. maybe_fierce has the most adorable family on the block.
I come from a bigger family and one year one of my foster sisters (who had never had a Halloween costume before) wanted to be Dorothy. My mom made us the entire cast of the wizard of Oz- Dorothy, Toto, lion, scarecrow, Tinman, witch, flying monkey, wizard. She made every single one of those costumes too.
30.Whoa! kimberlyanne30’s mom knows her way around a sewing machine!
I’m the sunflower, my mom hand made all our costumes. 😂
31. Now that’s thinking outside the box, jlmac_all_ister.
I didn’t plan a costume and went as a burnt marshmallow 🤓 I had a poofy black jacket, black mitts, hat and pants and put black paint smears on my face.
32. Sexy is so overrated, alezabath_.
My senior year when everyone was cute or sexy and I went as Ugly Betty.
33. 🎶Do you really want to hurt me, mrz_twentythree?
My sister once braided my hair to look like Boy George. Best. Costume. Ever!!
34. panda_con_whiskey has very fond memories.
mom made me a mermaid tail out of a cheap white towel and hand painted scales on it. I think I was 6. To this day when I think Halloween I think of that tail. My mom thought I would hate it because all the other kids had store bought stuff. She stayed up almost all night beading and painting. I loved it. Wore my bikini top and a shell hair clip. That was 30 years ago. I felt so pretty.
35. I remember having to wear a damn coat too, bcowbrough.
Jasmine costume that fit over a snow suit 😝 I even had a jewel belly button!!
36. cara_palermo’s dad is hella smart.
Statue of Liberty! My dad melted down a milk gallon and fastened it to a flashlight as Lady Liberty’s flame. Add a big Green sheet, face paint and a souvenir crown and tada!
37. emilykgrant makes one adorable blue frog(?).
Made by my mom (pictured)