Once we started to reach puberty, most of us were subject to the unbearably awkward “birds and the bees” talk with our parents—including a lecture about the importance of protection, etc. We even learned about sex in school from teachers and friends.
However, what educators and parents fail to share with us are all of the bizarre historical facts about sex from over the years. For instance, did you know that the first cock rings were made from goat eyelashes?? Yeah, me either. Check out all of these truly strange tid bits from the past and we guarantee you’ll have plenty of convo starters for happy hour.
1. Romans would use brothel tokens to pay for sex.
2. The first cock rings were made from goat eyelashes.
3. The first dildos were made of stone.
4. Couples would go to “petting parties” to hook up in the 1920s.
5. Victorian doctors used to pleasure their female patients.
6. In 18th century London, you could purchase sex guide books.
7. Ancient Chinese men were advised to not ejaculate during sex because Taoism believed semen to be sacred.
8. On their wedding night, Spartan women would cross-dress for their husbands before consummating the marriage.
9. In Ancient Rome, the penis was thought to possess Apotropaic power and could ward off evil.
10. Sex clubs were all the rage in the 1700s and one of the most infamous clubs was The Beggar’s Benison.
11. Catherine the Great hired “foot ticklers” to get her turned on.
12. Ancient Egyptian women used crocodile poop as contraception.
13. Sex poems were very common in medieval France.